Pharmaceutical Scientists as a Profession
We know Pharmaceutical Scientists like the ones who use their skills and techniques in laboratories to check out how the various matter acts with the disease-causing organisms, and use the gained knowledge to determine how those compounds can be used in the formulation of new drugs and medicines, which then becomes significant in the medical world. While forming a new drug, the scientists examine a variety of compounds to ultimately find out what works out best for treating a particular disease.
One can also study the ways to determine how safe it is to use the drug. In this profession, scientists can choose to focus on any specific aspect of drug development. For example, one might imagine how the vaccine for the prevention of coronavirus is determined. Or how do compounds from a particular tree become the treatment for an infection? Well, Pharmaceutical Science answers these, by extracting the skills of Pharmaceutical Scientists.
Courses That Open Up a Career in Pharmaceutical Science
In order to pursue a career in Pharmaceutical Science , it is important that the student passes class 12, from the Science stream. After that, the student can choose from the Diploma, Degree, and Doctoral programs. The courses are mentioned below:
- Diploma in Pharmaceutical Science- a three-year program that provides the students with the necessary skills, knowledge, and experience, which are needed to work efficiently in Pharmaceutical Science.
- B.Pharm- includes a more thorough analysis of Pharmaceutical Science and the syllabus includes things like biochemistry, human anatomy, herbal drug technology, Etc. Explore more about the B pharm Course
- MPharm- in Pharmacognosy- it includes the study of Medicinal Plant biotechnology, Phytochemistry, Herbal cosmetics, etc.
- DPharm- it is a professional doctorate in pharmacy and includes an in-depth study of Human Anatomy and Physiology, Pharmaceutics, Pathophysiology, Community Pharmacy, etc.
- Master of Pharmacy in Pharmaceutics- - includes the study of Formulation Development, Advanced Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics, Modern Pharmaceutical Analytical Techniques, etc.
- MPharm in Pharmaceutical Analysis- includes studies of Food Analysis, Modern Bio-Analytical Techniques, Herbal and Cosmetic Analysis, etc.
- MPharm in Pharmaceutical Quality Assurance- includes studies of Analytical Techniques, Management of quality, Hazards and Safety Management, Audits and Regulatory Compliance, etc.
- MPharm in Regulatory Affairs- includes matters like Clinical Research Regulations, Regulations and Legislation for Drugs & Cosmetics, Medical Devices, Biologicals & Herbals, and Food & Nutraceuticals In India and Intellectual Property Rights, Regulatory Aspects of Food & Nutraceuticals, etc.
- MPharm in Pharmacy Practice- includes the study of Hospital & Community Pharmacy, Principles of Quality Use of Medicines, Pharmaco-epidemiology &Pharmaco-economics, etc.
- MPharm in Pharmacology- includes Pharmacological and Toxicological Screening Methods, Principles of Drug Discovery, etc.
- MPharm in Pharmaceutical Biotechnology- includes Microbial and Cellular Biology, Advanced Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Proteins and protein Formulation, etc.
Mentioned above are the various courses that can be the pathway to a career in Pharmaceutical Science , and a student can choose any of the mentioned courses, according to their preferences.
How to Become a Pharmaceutical Scientist?
In order to become a Pharmaceutical Scientist , a student must adhere to the steps mentioned below. These entail the basic eligibility criteria required to study pharmacy in India, as well as the minute details that a student must keep in mind from the beginning.
1. The students must pursue the Science stream in classes 10+2, where the students can choose combinations like Physics, Chemistry and Biology, or Physics Chemistry and Math, or all the four subjects at once
2. After that, the student becomes eligible for undergraduate courses. There are various undergraduate courses in biology, as mentioned above which differ in duration, opportunities and degree. The courses and the durations are mentioned below. Every degree and course come with their own eligibility, for example, if you want to pursue a pharmacy bachelor's, then you must appear for the All India Pre Medical Test to be eligible to study in some colleges.
- Diploma In Pharmacy-2 Diploma In Pharmacy-2 Years
- B.Pharmacy-4 Years
- B.Pharmacy-3 Years (After Diploma) Followed By
- M.Pharmacy-2 Years
- PhD-Research Fellow (3 To 7 Years)
- Pdf-Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Pharm D (5.5 Years After Senior College)
- Pharm D (3 Years After B.Pharmacy)
3. To pursue a career in Pharmaceutical Sciences, the basic qualifications are:
- A major in Pharmaceutical Sciences, pharmacy, biology, chemistry, and medicine in college.
- Ability to communicate, as one will be meeting with people from various backgrounds.
- Ability to handle disappointments.
4. The most common entrance exams that allow a student to pursue Pharmaceutical Sciences are:
- National Eligibility cum Entrance Test(NEET)
- GPAT(Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test)
- (NIPERJEE)National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research-Joint Entrance Exam.
5. While pursuing the preferred degree, the student must gain expertise in both lab skills and soft skills (like communication).
6. The fees for studying Pharmaceutical Science in private colleges range from 1 lakh to 3 lakhs, and the same for government colleges ranges from 15k to 2 lakhs. Affordability sometimes is also a crucial determining factor here.
7. A student must work hard to gain the necessary skills that are required to become a successful Pharmaceutical scientist. Though it is possible to develop skills after entering a job, it would be better for the students to increase their skills, while they are still a student through practice. The students must look for internships or co-ops, which will give them the experience of the field, boost their communication skills which is very necessary for the profession, and build good relationships with potential employers.
8. A PhD can advance the person's career and can advance their chances to become an obvious choice for employers. This can also further your career in senior-level positions.
9. The opportunities for the people looking for a career in Pharmaceutical Science are mostly in government sectors such as colleges, universities, research institutions, whereas, there are also multiple jobs in private companies.
10. One should try for private companies, only after getting properly recognized as a trusted scientist.
Skill-Set Required To Become A Pharmaceutical Scientist In India
Since most of the time Pharmaceutical Scientists spend constitutes making reports, reading, interpreting, performing varied tests, conducting studies, trials, observation, the following skill-set comes in handy for them to go about their operations.
- Mathematical Skills
- Strong Scientific Background
- Analytical Skills
- Communication Skills
- Research Skills
- Attention To Detail
- Problem-Solving Abilities
- Critical Thinking
- Observation Skills
Career as a Pharmaceutical Scientist
There are a large number of paths open for the Pharmaceutical graduates, and it is not confined to the lab, and the skills developed are not restricted to medical/Pharmaceutical careers. One can be a Forensic Scientist (who can be useful in crime scenes), a Researcher in Pharmaceutical companies, regulatory affairs (ensuring that the company meets government regulations), Product Developer, Sales and Marketers, Chemist, etc.
Top Companies Hiring Pharmaceutical Scientists in India
- Golden Opportunities Private Limited
- Eli Lilly and Company
- PI Industries Ltd.
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
- Applied Materials Inc
- Lupin Ltd
- Sun Pharmaceuticals
- Ferring Pharmaceuticals
- BVR People Consulting
- Michael Page
- Jubilant Biosys
With true determination, dedication, choosing the right courses and internships, the students can find good career opportunities for the students in Pharmaceutical Sciences, which can ensure good working conditions, reasonable salary, and an opportunity to contribute to the world of medicine and Sciences. In this article, all the necessary information is needed for a student to pursue a career as a Pharmaceutical scientist.