Ever since covid has struck the world, the importance of the medical field has increased manifold. The field of medicine is considered to be one of the most honorable, patrician and noble occupations. A world that is not graced by the presence of medicine will be an imprecated one to live in. Nevertheless, owing to the glamour this field holds, jobs that are related to the field of medicine also pay a handsome amount.
No wonder the youth of India aims to pursue (Pharmacy Course) this stream. The medical course is a mammoth field that provides the students with innumerable options to choose from according to their interests and needs. India has more than 1000 medical colleges and choosing the best one among them can be a hefty job. This article will make the reader well versed with the different streams one may opt for in the medical field, the best colleges, their fee structures and the remuneration one will get if a student decides to pursue this field.
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery:- Also known as MBBS, this course is often considered to be the most prestigious ones in the medical field. One needs to crack the NEET UG entrance exam with good marks to get into this course.
Duration:- 5.5 years including one year of mandatory internship.
- Bachelor Of Dental Surgery:- For students who aspire to become dental surgeons, this is the foundational course. This course also selects students based on their NEET UG score.
Duration: An obligatory year of internship in a 5-year long course.
- Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery:- Abbreviated as BAMS, this undergraduate course of medicine concentrates on the investigation of life structures with medication by integrating traditional methods with present-day science. This course has similar criteria for admission to the other courses i.e. through NEET.
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharm):- This stream has gained a lot of popularity in today’s world, especially after the upsurge in covid. As the name suggests, this stream deals with educating an undergraduate student on the methods and process of drug production. This also provides knowledge of operational handling of a dispensary, pharmacy or drugs. Students need to clear the entrance exams for B.Pharm in their respective states to pursue this stream. With the advancement of technology in the present times, the scope and popularity of B.Pharm have reached huge heights.
Duration: 4 years
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc):- For animal lovers who want to pursue medicine, this stream is the right fit. This stream is based on handling the diseases of animals, their anatomy, nutrition, physiology and well being.
Duration: 5.5 years with 6 months - 1 year of internship
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy (BPT):- This science is the study of treating muscular spasms and recovery of muscle injuries. To get admitted to this course, one needs to clear the state level entrance exams.
Duration:- 4- 6 years
- Nursing:- With its main focus on the fundamentals of nursing, community diseases, health economics, surgical operations and ward management, nursing is the supportive pillar of MBBs. Admission is merit-based.
- Bachelor of Homoeopathic Medicine and Surgery (BHMS):- This course focuses on the self-healing capability of the human body. Admission to this 5.5-year course is also done based on NEET UG entrance.
- Bachelor in Unani Medicine (BUMS):- This course trains a person in Unani skills like cupping, Turkish bath, diaphoresis, etc. and has NEET-UG as its entrance exam.
Duration: 5.5 years
- Bachelor of Occupational Theory (BOT):- This 4-5 year course equips a person to help physically and mentally challenged people to keep themselves happy. The entrance exam for this course is not conducted. Admission is based on merit.
- Bachelor of Optometry (B.Optom):- This undergraduate stream teaches about the science of eyes and the organs connected to them. The criteria for pursuing this course is also cracking the NEET UG. Duration- 4 years with a 6 months internship
Best Private Colleges to Study Medicine:
|Name of the institution||Course(s) offered||Average annual fees|
|Christian Medical College, Vellore||MBBS, Nursing, Allied Health Sciences, Pharmacology||Rs 1,53,000 - Rs 2,79,000|
|Kasturba Medical College, Manipal||MBBS||Rs 7080000|
|St. John’s Medical College, Bengaluru||MBBS, Nursing, Paramedical Studies, BPT||Rs 6,28,000|
|Alva’s Ayurvedic Medical College, Karnataka||BAMS||Rs 176000|
|Tilak Ayurved Mahavidyalaya, Pune||BAMS||Rs 49,000|
|JSS College of Pharmacy, Ooty||B.Pharm||Rs 3,30,000|
|Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi||MBBS, B.Pharma, BPT,BAMS||Rs 33,61,000 , Rs 3,25,000, Rs 5,60,000 and Rs 3,09,000 respectively|
|Bombay College of Pharmacy, Mumbai||B.Pharma||Rs 41,320|
|Grant Medical College,Mumbai||MBBS||Rs 1,02,961|
|KMC, Mangalore||MBBS||Rs 14,40,000|
Best Government Colleges to Study Medicine:
|Name of the institution||Course(s) offered||Average annual fees|
|AIIMS, New Delhi||Medicine and Allied Sciences, Pharmacy||Rs 7,330|
|PGIMER, Chandigarh||Nursing||Rs 6,035|
|King George’s Medical University, Lucknow||MBBS, BDS,Nursing, Diploma in Optometry||Rs 3000000- Rs 167000|
|JIPMER, Puducherry||MBBS||Rs 4,970|
|BHU, Varanasi||Pharmacy, BDS, MBBS, BAMS,||Rs 2,53,000, Rs 66,93,000, Rs 1,35,000|
|Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Aligrah||MBBS||Rs 43,940|
|State Ayurvedic College and Hospital, Lucknow||BAMS||Rs 15,000|
|IPGMER, Kolkata||BPT, MBBS, Nursing||Rs 12,5000, Rs 7,5000,|
Scope of medicine as a career in industry:
- A career in Pharmacy (medicine) is a respectful one that lets you serve the society
- There is financial stability in this field
- It includes a lot of diversifications which prevents constricting the number of career options for a student
- One can set up a consultancy
- This field is full of opportunities and promotions
- Although hectic, this field has flexible scheduling
- One can even join as a doctor of the Armed Forces
Advantages of pursuing the medical line:
- Diverse career opportunities
- Can settle anywhere in the world because there is a good uniformity in the requirement and eligibility of a career in the medical field all over the globe
- A persistently handsome salary
- Job safety
- Huge scope of research
- Ability to fit in a variety of work environments
- Has a mammoth contribution toward the wellbeing of the society
- Can accommodate people with varying personalities
|Pharmacist||Clinical Practice||Tutoring||Specialisation||Healthcare and Information Management|
|Clinical Pharmacy||Lecturer||Consultant||Combined Medical Services||Medical Radiology and Imaging Technology|
|Hospital Pharmacy||Government Job as a dentist||Panchakarma Centre||Defence Services||Physiotherapy|
|Clinical Research Associate||Research||Master’s in Public Health||Private and Government||Radiotherapy|
|Pharmacologist||Dental Cosmetology||Working in Dispensaries||Clinical Research||Nutritionist and Dieticians|
|Consultant Pharmacist||Forensic Dentistry||Research||MBA in Medical Field||Dialysis Therapy Technology|
|Ambulatory Care||Medical Transcription||MBA in Hospital and Healthcare Management||Clinical Practice||Optometrist|
|Pharmaceutical Marketing||Dental Consulting||Drug Manufacturing||Medical Professor||Public health Worker|
If you are eager to alleviate people’s pain and suffering, the medical field is your right fit. Besides being respectable, it is also one of the oldest jobs in the world. With the increasing advent of unhealthy lifestyles and diseases, the need for good medical professionals is increasing every single day. Hence the youth of India to pursue a career in this field.